Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chicken Wings Of Yum

This is a hard recipe to really tack down and say "this is how you make it" because I make it different every single time. Sometimes I feel like salty spicy chicken wings, so I use mostly soy sauce, ginger, and chili flakes. Other times (like today) I feel like sweet wings, so I used orange juice, sesame seeds, and a bunch of honey. I think I can lay out some general guidelines, though, so you should be able to make your own Chicken Wings Of Yum.

Four Chicken wing halves (separated at the joint, little pointy bit discarded)
marinated for 1 minute to 24 hours in
Soy sauce - between 1-3 Tbsp
Ginger - between 1tsp - 1Tbsp, freshly grated
Acid (orange juice, lime juice, rice vinegar, etc) between 1tsp and 1/2 cup, depending on acidity
Honey (or maple or agave or whatever) between 1tsp and 1/4 cup, depending on taste
optional ingredients - add to taste
1/8 to 1 tsp sesame oil
1Tbsp sesame seeds
1tsp slivered orange zest (good with orange juice as the acid)
1 clove garlic, diced fine (good with less sweet versions)
chili flakes (I'm not a huge fan of mouth-burning food, so I use very little. You may use as much as you like)

Place your marinated chicken wings with their marinade in a small frying pan. bring to a simmer over low heat and cook on low, turning occasionally. Put a lid on it if you feel the marinade is evaporating faster than the chicken is cooking, take the lid off if you feel the chicken is cooking but the sauce needs to reduce more.
Taste the sauce when the chicken wings are almost done and adjust the flavors if necessary - adding a touch more vinegar, or soy sauce, or honey as needed.
Remove from heat when the wings are cooked through and the sauce is reduced and syrupy. Serve with brown rice and some sort of fresh vegie.


This time, I used around 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce, around 1 1/2 tsp ginger, around 1 loose Tbsp orange zest, 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp sesame oil, the juice of the orange... and I think that's it. It turned out very sweet and orangey and delicious. The orange zest turned out transparent and marmalade-y, I guess you could replace the honey and orange zest for orange marmalade, but I would look down my nose at you if you did.
(and I know the strawberry isn't really a vegetable, but I wanted to eat it with my lunch anyway)


And now - for the pet peave portion of my blog! (because it's MY blog and I can be grumpy if I want to!)
This is how your wings should look when you're done.


If your bones are not AT LEAST this clean, you have not finished them and may not have dessert. Neither may you have seconds until these wings are done, and no you may not leave the table.
... I would be a mean mom.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...