Thursday, February 17, 2011

Southwest-Style Whole-Grain Cornbread

I love cornbread, and I especially love this recipe for cornbread. It's flavorful, always moist, and goes perfectly with chili. It's a modified version of a recipe that years ago appeared in my hometown's cookbook courtesy of the best cook in town, Athalia Jensen, a good family friend.
It's a 'southwest style' cornbread recipe, so it calls for peppers and corn kernels. I always have frozen corn in the freezer, specifically for this cornbread. I always use bell peppers for this recipe since I'm not too fond of spicy food, but if you prefer you could of course use jalapenos for their kick. 


Cornbread

1 ½ cubes butter, softened (¾ cup)
¼ cup yogurt
2 T honey
4 eggs
¼ cup chopped bell peppers, green or red
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp preferred)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350* and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
In a bowl, mix the butter, yogurt, honey, eggs, peppers, corn kernels, and cheese. Pour the flour and cornmeal in a pile on top, and mix the salt and baking powder into it. Mix the flour mixture into the underlying butter mixture until all the flour is moistened. Scrape out into the greased baking pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is browned and the center is set.
Cut into squares and serve warm with homemade chili.
This picture has a story. I told Tyler he could have the last piece of cornbread if he would grab my camara for me to take some pictures of it first. This is the last picture I got before it was devoured.
-Zay

4 comments:

  1. looks and sounds delicious, im not a huge fan of corn bread and i basically only eat it with chilli, probably a sterling thing. but i do love spicy corn breads so i might have to try this one night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is my favoret version of cornbread it is so good. i am going to have to make some

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...