Monday, March 15, 2010

Honey Oat Cookies Two Ways

I like oatmeal cookies.
Here is a recipe I ganked from the interwebs and modified to make into my personal cookie slave.
(don't try to reason with me about that previous sentence, there is no reasoning with me when I'm in one of these moods)

Honey Oat Cookie Base Recipe (plain jane)
1 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together the wet ingredients with the oats in a mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to let the oats absorb some of the honeyfull goodness. Add the remaining dry ingredients but do not overmix.
If you like your cookies painfully plain, you can drop the dough as is by rounded teaspoonfulls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake @ 350* for 10 to 12 minutes, but if you actually like oatmeal cookies, I'm guessing you like them dressed up just a little.

Honey Oat Raisin Spice Cookies  (My Favorite!)
Stir in about 1 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/16 tsp cloves (just a tiny dash)
Add these ingredients along with the flour and cook as directed in the above recipe.

Honey Oat Carob Cookies  (dark and delicious!)
add about 1/4 cup carob powder along with the flour and cook as directed in the base recipe.
-I feel this recipe needs a bit of an explanation. I love carob. This is probably due to the fact that it was never pawned off on me as a chocolate replacement. (there can be only one!) I discovered carob on my own as an adult and love it for itself.

There's a picture, don't you just want to grab a glass of cold milk and a dozen of those?

Other Variations:
Some people like nuts in their cookies. You could do that if you're one of them. I wouldn't go with more than 1/2 cup chopped nuts at a time until you know how nutty you want them.
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies? Sure, add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes!
Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Cookies? Sounds great! I would go with the zest of one orange and a cup of dried chopped cranberries along with some cinnamon.... definitely going to try this one some day.

Enjoy this recipe! I know I say this on all of them, but it's a fun recipe. Play with it, all it wants is to make you happy!



1 comment:

  1. [this is good] mmmmmmmm, yum...c0okies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...