Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pizza and News

So, it seems the word has not quite traveled through all branches of my family that I am alive and well, and have a place to live. My cousin Tod's Uncle Steve is renting Tyler and I a room in his very nice house. So far we are getting along very well with him and our other housemates, Sidney and Astara.
For the first week our room was completely unfurnished, we were living out of our luggage and sleeping on the hideously uncomfortable mattress from a couch bed, but in the last few days we managed to get ahold of some free dressers off craigslist and a very inexpensive but comfy mattress from goodwill. We are still looking for a couple desks, some tables, and some hippy wall hangings to decorate the very white room with, but it's starting to feel like home, and our house mates are starting to feel like family.
The past week has been great, one of the highlights was when Steve and I got excited about having chickens and started running around in the back yard figuring out where to keep them. There is already a structure that with very little improvement will make a great coop for 3-4 hens. I am so excited!
This being primarily a food and craft blog, I should share a recipe. Last night I made Pizza for everyone, and everyone loved it, so I thought I would share that!

Pizza Crust
3/4 cup water
1 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
olive oil

Mix the room temperature water and yeast together in a bowl. Mix in the flour and salt and knead gently, it will be a slightly sticky dough. Round it into a ball and pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil on top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least one hour and up to 6 hours.
When you are ready to make your pizza, preheat the oven to 450*. Dump the dough out onto a cookie sheet and press out with your fingers until it covers the sheet. It will be quite thin. If it fights you, let it rest for 5 minutes then come back to it.
Bake the undecorated pizza crust for five minutes, then remove from the oven. Top with the sauce of your choice (my favorites are pesto and home made tomato), the vegies of your choice, (I like zucchini, onions, mushrooms, all lightly sauteed), fully cooked meat of your choice, and a generous layer of mozzarella cheese. Bake another 5-10 minutes, depending on your oven, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cut into portions and enjoy immediately.


And here, a picture of the leftovers.

4 comments:

  1. We tried pizza tonight! I was already making bread, so i just used that dough, and it turned out alright, but I'm still not super excited about it- we'll have to try your dough sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was wrong with the crust? I usually have pretty good results with bread dough crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please dont stop putting up news I like to read it . Im getting chickens too with james and anja . and maybe even a cow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pizza looked yummy. I am considering trying it. I am happy everything is going well with you Tyler and your new housemates. Please keep us updated on this new adventure you and Tyler are having.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...